Thing ten Networking tools

Networking tools Facebook, Twitter etc

I have had a Facebook profile for at least the last ten years and a twitter for about seven. I mostly use twitter for professional networking as I tweet from most conferences and seminars I go to either as myself or from a group profile. I have been engaged in several #uklibchat over the years. I found the topics here interesting and people engaging and helpful. They always seem willing to answer questions or point you in the right direction, or on occasion disagree and have a discussion with you. 

I find tweeting can be quite challenging even with the new 280 limit it can be difficult to get a complicated point across. Using correct grammar, correct spelling and good vocabulary and generally sounding professional is hard work.

The point about online networking being the same as real time face to face interaction is well made. When tweeting or posting anything online it should be polite and on topic. Going to a networking event and talking about holidays is not advisable.

Its in the everyday use of these tools that problems may arise posting photos, involvement in other discussions that aren't in a professional capacity but may influence the way people see you or choosing to connect with you online. 

Mostly I use twitter for work related activities I do use it for personal things too. But the majority of the people I follow are librarians, information professional, organisations etc. Twitter has recently brought in a block tool and I have made use of it. 

The thing I do find is I have meet in real life the vast majority of the people I follow or at least have heard them speak. Does this make a difference? Does this defeat the purpose of online networking? As I'm networking with the same group of people online I meet at events and networking with in real life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing three Image Banks

Thing six Reflective Practice

Thing 13 Reflective Practice