Thing 21 Professional Groups

Experience with LAI

I have been a member of the Library Association of Ireland since I graduated from UCD eight years ago. Being a member of the LAI is not a requirement for working as a information professional in Ireland but I joined to meet other librarians from different sectors, make connections, get advice on career progression and further training. 

I have been an active member of several groups such as the government section, the western region section, career development group. In the last few years I have been a committee member and officer of the WSRLAI. 

Through these groups I've learned about working as team for a common goal. I have gotten a charge to organise events such as seminars. I have able to take part and run CPD courses in the Rudai23 2016. 

The best of what I see about the LAI is through the groups and sections doing work on their own time to further their and other careers. Courses and events such as Rudai and the Library Camps were created and organised by the hard work of individuals. 

The initiatives Associateship and Fellowship are good way of showing the benefits of CDP and membership of the organisation. I do intend to apply for my ALA after I complete this MOOC.

The LAI itself however I feel does not show great leadership. During the worst of the recession with closures and funding cuts and the deprofessionalisation (I don't think that's a real word but you get my meaning) I don't feel the LAI was visible enough in the objections many of us felt. After attending a joint conference CILIP/LAI I came away depressed as to the future of public libraries. 

The cost of joining is quite high and do you get the moneys worth? The strengths of membership is the commradery  between fellow information professionals. It gives the change to network informally and formally. In seminars and conferences it offers a arena for putting forward viewpoints and papers. Where it fails is that is not a union or a lobby organisation so is it worth the money?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 12 Collaborative tools

Thing three Image Banks

Thing 20 Advocacy and Engagement