Thing 22 Reflective Post

Considerations

This is my reflective blog for my third badge : The Engaged Professional. I did not do the tasks in order this time as I wanted time to plan and to think about the tasks. 

I started on Thing 20 and it was the most challenging thing to date. I disagree with Marie on her description of opportunities for all. While the title of the report may sing the praises of the library as a pillar of the community the report itself I found to be a fudge. It was been used to bring in open libraries. This scheme is trying to shoe horn a system which works in academic libraries but is unfit for public libraries. It is far from open for all, toilets are locked after staff leave meaning disabled may find some difficulties in using what is a public space. The lack of security and the reported anti-social incidents may make unsafe for certain groups. This scheme is being pushed through despite concerns raised by library staff. My experience at a recent seminar  showed a distinct lack of cooperation. 

Marie does raise some very serious issues in her piece how does the library measure impact? The stats  based on footfall and stock issues. I did not find any figures for courses run and attended, school visits, literacy engagement. When I did my an interview for a county council post I found that several county's libraries hadn't increased their spending on stock and buildings for several years. The high level look at figures are not always that truthful. Library impact is nearly impossible to show as its primarily a cultural institution. Trying to justify an existence in that way to  people who look at stats and money to make decisions is hard.

Marketing and Lobbying is vital for the survival of libraries in any organisation. It should be taught in every MLIS. Is the professional body for information professionals the best people to do it. They cant do it on their own and need the users of the service to back them. Encouraging the next generation of librarians to fight for funding and show themselves to be important to society and the running of the business they may be in. 

Library buildings have been booming in the last few years and are used by the those in power to show investment in libraries.  But this isnt quite the whole story they often close small libraries at the same time. The hailed Dublin city is currently mired in funding battles and hopefully wouldn't end like the Birmingham Library who had to put our calls for donations of stock in 2015.

I found the exercises that Marie set to be very challenging. I did not answer them all. The question seven really flummoxed me. I really don't know if I am passionate about something that involves my career. I'm very much interested in parts of my work but passionate? 



 
Thing 19 was much more fun. I studied this in UCD for my Library and Information studies course and enjoyed it very much. I have used Audacity before and have had it on my laptop for some time. I do find it useful to have a decent microphone as it makes the voice better from the built in mic. 

For this task I downloaded a voice recorder for my phone. This meant I did not need my laptop and could record without being interrupted. Anyone who tried to record a mix tape in the 80's will know you will be bothered the minute you hit play.  

I have listened to podcasts but not seriously I have not subscribed to any. I do listen to. I decided against downloading Stitcher as it got terrible reviews and seems to have changed its limit of saved episode. 

I have listened to several episodes of librarians aloud and have liked it but my enjoyment my be because I know the people involved. I know the interviewer and very often I know or have met the person being interviewed. When I have listened to others I may just dip in or out of. Circulating Ideas is one I have listened in on on occasion and found it very interesting on different topics. Others have left me cold however serial was massively popular a couple of years ago but the voice of the narrator just grated. 

I tried to review a podcast which was Laura's first task and I listened to one of Blindboy of the rubber bandits recordings. It was awful. A lot of rambling and opinions. It was also full of over-reading of films. Morgan Freemans character in Robin Hood price of thieves was the "magic other". Whatever that is.  After that I tuned him off. I couldn't review what I didn't understand!

I have heard that blogging is dying is it being replaced by podcasts? It certainly is easier in that there is less screen time so it nicer on the eyes. It can be downloaded and listened rather than read.

I put my effort up in sound cloud which is a great site I've listen to lectures on Offaly plantations on it and there is such a selection of music on it. 

https://soundcloud.com/seaglish/chilli-podcast-for-rudai23

My Blog post on thing 21 I hope wasn't a rant. I don't feel the membership of the LAI is quite worth the money. It is neither a union nor a lobbying organisation. Its strength is in it opportunities it give members to network. Its very useful for the single librarian as it gives a great support base from which to draw experience and help. 

I chose exercise four. Where I outlined what I think of the LAI and its failings but its good points too. The support form those in your groups is really where the strength lies.  They organise the CPD courses, the events, and training. Where I feel the association falls down is in advocacy and lobbying. I feel the LAI does not fight back enough against the cuts and intrusions by other bodies into their funding. Librarians are a diverse range of people and work places are members of many different staff unions. They need someone to speak on their behalf. 

What this section of Rudai23 did was remind and encourage me to go for my ALA. I have been a member for nearly eight years and have worked in a lot of different work places and have done CPD. It may be catalyst I need to get more involved with the association.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 12 Collaborative tools

Thing three Image Banks

Thing 20 Advocacy and Engagement