Thing 11 Professional Brand


Before I read this blog post I disliked the idea of personal branding it has a business  language, right wing, corporate, privatisation, free market style connotations to me. It seems to be say that I should replace my image with a brand and brands come with slogans. Did I need to think of a tag line for myself? I think the idea of it reinforced the notion of private business outlook seeping into other areas which they don't belong. Schools no-longer produce students but units.

Later the on its explained that what is meant is your professional identity. This is a much better and more acceptable term and more appropriate for the many areas of work information professionals find themselves in. 

Looking at my linkedin page I think there is a few things I can change to better improve my professional identity. Reading through I don't know if my skills and experience stands out as particularly unique. I have changed the web address to give my name and title to make me easier find but to highlight what I am, but my summery needs some work. 

I use twitter maybe not as professionally as I should but I do get involved in twitter chats and from conferences and seminars. I can be found here @ekeohan my tweets are sometimes private as I prefer to keep myself online. Which I may have to look at if people want to contact me. When I go networking events I try to be open and approachable and usually try to read up before attending so not to appear completely out of the loop.   


I have recently changed my photo on all my social networking profiles so people know its the same person. 


I see the benefit in having a unified approach to your online profile be it linkedin or twitter and using them to promote yourself and your work I just wouldn't call it a brand.

Task for blog.

I obtained the Higher dipolma in library and information studies
in 2011. I have worked in a wide range of libraries and information centres since 2004 such as government, Public and Health libraries as well as genealogy research centers. During my past employment: I gained experience in procuring new systems for library services for government departments. I have developed skills in research, information literacy, task management, and communications. 

I am a member of the Library association of Ireland, Communications officer for the Western Region Section of the LAI and in 2015 I was on the team that ran Rudai23.

In my free I am a committee member of a voluntary Community library. I play short mat bowls and am a committee member of the club. I enjoy cooking and walking and researching local history.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Reflections on Thinking Critically

Thing 20 Advocacy and Engagement

Thing 12 Collaborative tools